Saturday, February 27, 2010

March 12th - BQ Again!

I'm spreading the word that Big Questions will start again on March 12th, 2010. The program will be the usual 6:30 pm start time for a pot luck dinner, with a guided discussion beginning at 8:00.

For the pot luck, please bring enough for several. It is truly a pot luck so salads, main dishes, bread, and desserts are all welcome. Dishes and silverware are provided, as are most serving utensils. If you need to heat up your offering, an oven and microwave will be available.

The Greeks enjoyed a libation during discussions concerning philosophy, and so do members of our group. If you would like, red and white wines are both welcome. Soft drinks will be provided.

I am hoping for an influx of new attendees, so will likely recycle one of our tried and true topics. They always seem to do well, and generate some very interesting discussions. Perhaps we can pick from among several that have been fun to do in the past.

If the group is large we will break into smaller groups of 8-10. I feel this is very important for discussions, and has been a point of some difficulty in the past. Trying to get as many as 30 people into a singe discussion has posed significant problems. Smaller groups mean more intimate connections. After all, that's what we want.

If you want to read up on this group, I would recommend reading Christopher Phillip's Socrates Cafe. While I find this to be a bit stylized, it does set the right tone for our meeting. I am certainly not the Socratic scholar Phillip's portrays himself as being, I will do my best.

If you need directions or additional info, please give me a call.

Desmond 360 348-2220

No comments:

Post a Comment