Monday, February 14, 2022

Ambiguous Loss

 Meeting Date:  February 18

Two of our BQ regulars suggested we discuss the topic, Ambiguous Loss.  Originally they referred me to a New York Times article on the subject, which discussed and quoted Dr. Pauline Boss, the originator of the idea, which I read.  Now, I am not a mental health therapist or psychologist of any sort, only a simple philosopher.  I was asked, however, to lead the discussion, so here is my attempt to do so. 

The first link above is for a dedicated website to this topic supplied by Dr. Boss, and it includes a video of her explaining the idea, where it came from, and how it has formed the basis of her life's work.  Additional tabs take the site visitor to different areas that explain and expand on the ideas she has developed, and some offer access to training and other resources if someone really wanted to take the Deep Dive into this topic.  I have not taken the training, so I can't comment on it.  You can suit yourself, I suppose.

The key idea is that some relationships end without a closure that allows an emotional end to the relationship.  If a romantic relationship ends where one partner just walks away, that might be an example.  Or if a parent dies in some distant place, of if they pass away from dementia or Alzheimer's, then the slipping away does not happen in a way that a final goodbye conversation can occur.  The best way to wrap your head around the topic is to click on the links and read more about it.

(Note:  Jane E. Brody is the author of several articles in the NYT on this topic, and she references conversations and resources from many sources.  I signed up for a NYT account as several people have been sending me links to articles there, and I have exceeded my limit on free access.  $1/week.  I can afford that.)

Special Note:  Scheduling.  I apologize for moving this meeting forward a week, but it turns out that we have a conflict for 2/25.  I hope we don't get to many folks missing the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment